Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Thinking About Ratings

So I just finished this book called Snagged by Jet Mykles and my response when I finished it was "meh."  It was written well, but it just didn't grab me.  I didn't really care about the MCs or believe in their HEA.  It just didn't work for me, so at first I rated it 3 stars, but then I thought about all the other books I've rated 3 stars and what does that rating really mean to me?  So I've decided, for my own good to really think about what each rating means and define the different ratings here:

So here it goes:

5 stars - brilliant, couldn't stop reading, loved the MCs.  It doesn't mean the novel is perfect - there might be some issues, but I just don't care, because I'm so caught up in the story.  Oh and everyone I know must read this book now!!!  And I will definitely re-read it.

4.5 stars - almost a 5 star but there are a few little issues that bother me enough that it doesn't get 5 stars.  Also a book I must share with my book friends and I'll likely re-read it.

4 stars - really good read.  Kept my attention, really liked the plot, characters, etc...not perfect.  Might re-read and will definitely recommend to my friends.

3.5 stars - very good, but something is missing.  I'd still recommend it but probably won't re-read.

3 stars - good, not great.  Might recommend but probably won't re-read.

2.5 stars - okay probably won't recommend and definitely won't re-read.

2 stars - meh - this book did nothing for me and unless someone can convince me otherwise, I'm not going to be looking for other books by this author.

1 star (I don't think I've ever rated anything 1.5 stars) - so bad, either the plot or the characters or the writing that either I force myself to finish it or I DNF it.  Painful to read even.

So my stream of consciousness definitions for my different grades.  I'll probably come back and clean them up a bit but this is a good start!


No comments:

Post a Comment